Friday, June 8, 2018

June 8 - The Catacombs, The Pantheon, and more

Today, I found God in so many different places. To start, at the beginning of the day we met refugees from many different countries that each had their own story for how they ended up in Italy. To see their smiling faces filled me with joy. The fact that they could still have a huge smile from ear to ear was amazing. After all they have been through, they can still find the goodness in life. We often focus on the negatives and seek out the bad, but these refugees seek the good and laugh through hard times.

I also saw God in special conversations I had with special people. When we talk about things we normally would not talk about and tend to avoid striking that conversation, we find connections with people we did not know we had. The intimacy of a deep conversation that you did not expect, that brings tears and joy, tells me that God is there and listening attentively.

Another place I found God was in the Catacombs. Just imagining all the saints and martyrs before us, dying for their beliefs and knowing that I am walking where they were once buried, or even killed, gave me an indescribable feeling. There was one saint especially that was amazing to me and that was one who they attempted to decapitate, but did not succeed after three times, and she of course died of blood loss. However, I think she died strong in her faith, and that is important.

Another, a bit sillier, way I saw God was all the stray animals around, especially cats. Cats are very important to me and being able to see friendly cats roaming around was beautiful to me. Seeing people feed them and petting them. It was not even only the strays, but also seeing how much they love their animals was amazing.

It only makes sense that God wanted me to see and understand that there are times of hardship and the only way to get through them is to smile and to have faith. He allowed me to see him in all these beautiful places and people. Today was one of the most inspirational and faithful days I have had in a long time, and I am glad I spent it with the most amazing group of people.

Curry Teems






1 comment:

  1. I love you, Curry Bug, and I am so proud of your courage and your spirit! I can’t wait to hear about the rest of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete