Monday, June 11, 2018

June 11 - Saint Claire, Saint Francis, and more

First off...HI MOM! I think you’ll be happy to hear that each day has become more and more spiritual and meaningful to each of us as this journey continues. So far I’d have to say this was my favorite day in Italy. Mrs. Keri and I started our day off bright and early with an easy run around the town of Assisi, which smells like flowers literally everywhere and feels like the one day out of the year that we have spring back in rome. Around lunch time, we took a tour of         where St. Claire lived and died as the first woman Friar (inspired by St. Francisco). Her story, told by our cool Irish Friar guide, came to life as we walked through the chapel, garden , and sleeping quarters that she once did in San Damiano. She was the first woman to write to the Pope asking for nothing so he granted her wish of a life in poverty. I felt a personal connection to this place and was absolutely blown away with the view it had atop of the mountain. Oh and did I mention that we were hiking up the side of this “city on a mountain” the whole day? If you’ve seen the pictures you might understand how our calfs feel by now. We went to two other Churches which were also indescribable with frescoes and mosaics sprawled across the walls and ceilings, telling timeless stories. We were pleasantly surprised when our guide of the Basilica di San Francesco happened to be from New York and cracked jokes at every corner. While he also starred us each in the eye promising heaven if we were all good boys and girls.. I think he was just a bit Catholic. Amazed by all of these things we were also exhausted, time to go back down the mountain. Except Curry, Eugenia, Adam,and I decided we couldn’t leave until we got to the top and saw the fortress. After some convincing they said we could go with Adam but wouldn’t have a bus to ride back on. Just a long walk back to the hotel and a scolding if we weren’t back by dinner time. Challenge accepted! It was tough but completely worth it when were were at the top of this castle overlooking all of the village and far more land beyond. This was an experience that I know I will never forget along with the surprise on their faces when we got back on time. I believe God was with us every step of the way showing us how the saints lived with imperfections and mistakes that made them ideal teachers of God's miracles and love. I know that I have learned more about my faith through their stories and selfless actions.

Josie Cole







No comments:

Post a Comment